[In-terp-en-ing], verb. The Art and Science of the Cannabis Sommelier: Evaluating flower for quality, effect, and variety type
Level 1 Introductory Interpening Course: The Trichome Institute offers the Level 1 Interpening Course in person. This course consists of a four-hour lecture followed with a multiple choice question review quiz. Courses are held in various cities throughout North America. Visit Trichomeinstitute.com for more information.
Level 2 Certified Interpener Course & Exam: All level 2 courses are taught in-person and followed with a written and practical exam accrediting you as a Certified Interpener by the Trichome Institute. Courses are held in various cities throughout North America. You will receive the Trichome Institute Certified Interpener green pin upon completion and are officially accredited as a Certified Interpener.
Level 3 Advanced Interpener Course & Exam: At this time Level 3 is offered by invitation only. You will receive the Trichome Institute Advanced Interpener black pin upon completion and are officially accredited as an Advanced Interpener.
What’s currently growing? We are currently developing the online Level 1 course, the new Interpening guidebook and the new Level 2 in person course. These will take some time to develop and release. We are starting to assist in developing Appellation and Terroir definitions in California. As we develop these programs we are refining our TAG process and using it in cannabis cups around the world and beginning to use the program for wholesale.
Level 1In-person Level 1 Training + Certification
- What is Interpening? Cannabis Today, The Strain Name & Speciation Dilemma. Indica & Sativa and the lack thereof explained in-depth.
- Sommelarities Cannabis Appellations, Terroir, Tasting, Pairing, Service.
- Cannabis Basics Proper vocabulary, cannabis definition, plant and cola structure, Chemotype, Genotype, phenotype, geography and variety types today.
- Trichomes and their Components Cannabinoids, Terpenes and Flavanoids, the psychotropic effects of cannabis.
- Quality Inspection and Dissection 12 Unacceptable Visual/Odor Characteristics- Observing Quality, Aroma Potency and Trichome Density – Proper Storage
- Interpening Methodology Process of Seeing and Smelling the Psychotropic Spectrum of Cannabis Hybridization
- Purchase your 4-Piece Interpening toolkit here! It is useful to have for class
- Level 1 Test taken online and certification if passed, re-testing is available.
Level 2In-person Level 2 Training + Certification
- Only Level 1 Certified Interpeners may take Level 2 Interpening.
- All Level 2 Classes are currently offered in-person in Colorado. (California coming 2018).
- How to evaluate cannabis olfactory and visual components with and without tools.
- More In-depth Lecture Training with hands-on workshops featuring over 75 types of cannabis.
- Quality Analysis visual and olfactory dissection of the spectrum of samples and psychotropic variance covered in more detail than Level 1.
- Visual Workshop observes acceptable and unacceptable flower characteristics such as molds, insects, unripe harvest, nutrient burns, cultivation, genetic, and environmental issues.
- Olfactory Workshop smell whole cannabis plant terpenes, other terpenes, distinguish the spectrum of psychotropic variety types, and unacceptable odors.
- 50-75 Flower Samples of rare/common, good/bad, “Indica/Sativa” cannabis samples
- Level 2 Test and certification included if passed. (Be sure to plan travel around possible in-person retesting the next day before flying home!)
- The Interpening Tool Kit is not included for a second time yet we offer the tools and other Interpening gear at the in-person classes.
We offer group discounts! – Level 1 Interpening
- For solo participants or small groups
- For mid-sized groups
- Larger groups and dispensary trainings
Interpening was developed by Max Montrose in 2008. Since it’s inception, Trichome Institute has hosted dozens of workshops teaching individuals from all around the world, including celebrities, industry veterans, and novices who are simply interested in learning more about cannabis.
Interpening covers the spectrum of cannabis types and quality unlike any other program. We bring 50 samples of flower to analyze all both acceptable and unacceptable characteristics and discuss how to communicate the qualities with others.
Wine sommelier, cicerones, mongers, and coffee cuppers have perfected their palates to dissect, grade, certify, and relay their expertise to the world.
Trichome Institute is the first to bring the level of perfection and expertise to the world of cannabis.