The Art and Science of the Cannabis Sommelier: evaluating flower for total quality control, psychotropic effects, and variety type designation.
Interpening is a multilevel mastery certification in evaluating cannabis quality and determining psychotropic effects, regardless of strain names or hybridization.
The Professional Interpening course consists of an in-depth five-hour lecture discussing the topics below and more. Be sure to take as many notes as you can so you’re prepared for the final exam!
- Interpening Origins
- Interpeners and Sommeliers: Similarities and Differences
- Cannabis Appellations, Terroir, and Typicity
- Cannabis Origins, Evolution, Speciation, and Taxonomy
- The Strain Name Dilemma: Do strain names matter?
- The Indica/Sativa Controversy
- Cannabis Anatomy, Chemotype, Genotype, and Phenotype
- Cannabis Chemistry: Cannabinoids, Terpenes, the Entourage Effect
- The Broad to Narrow Leaf Spectrum of Effects
- Quality: Evaluating the physical and aromatic characteristics of cannabis for unacceptable, acceptable, and perfect quality
- Identifying Cannabis Flaws: insects, mold, mildew, color, structure, ripeness, and many other factors to ensure safe consumption
- Interpening Methodology: Predicting the psychotropic effects of cannabis with three cranial nerves
Coming soon 2019 / 2020
The Advanced Interpening course focuses on Interpening marijuana from seed to smoke. As an Advanced Interpener, you will learn how to evaluate seeds, clones, cultivation cycles and techniques, and other fundamental components and processes. The course also explores in greater detail the Interpening methodologies covered in the Professional course, with the addition of various live action stations where you will be tested on your new Interpening skills.
After the presentation and each action station is explained, Interpeners will be given a written exam. The practical test will include identifying terpene aromatics, both isolated and within flower, evaluating flower to determine unacceptable qualities, and organizing unmarked flower within the Broad to Narrow Leaf Spectrum based on their individual phenotype and aromatic characteristics.
The Advanced Interpening course is currently in development and will be available to Professional Interpeners. Level One and Level Two Interpeners must take the Professional Interpening course online or in person as a prerequisite for the advanced course.
Interpening is a combination of the words “interpreting” and “terpenes.”
Interpening was developed by Max Montrose in 2008. Since it’s inception, Trichome Institute has hosted dozens of workshops teaching individuals from all around the world, including celebrities, industry veterans, and novices who are simply interested in learning more about cannabis.
Sommeliers, cicerones, cheesemongers, and coffee cuppers have perfected their palates to evaluate, grade, certify, and relay their expertise to the world. Trichome Institute is the first to bring the level of perfection and expertise to the world of cannabis.
For four solid hours, everyone from managers of dispensaries to growers, budtenders and owners learns how to pick up a plant and detect everything they need to know about the cannabis from its smell, bud structure and leaves. If you pay attention and pass a test at the end of the class, you’ll win official certification as a weed sommelier.Lindsey Bartlett
More Videos >